Thursday, May 6, 2010

Time to reform Harrisburg's broken government

During my years of public service, I have always tried to provide servant leadership to those who have given me the honor of electing me county commissioner and then state representative.

This year, after hearing the public outcry to change our broken system of government, I am offering my candidacy for lieutenant governor of Pennsylvania.

I came to this decision after the many calls and e-mails I received after our two forums on reform and after careful counsel of friends and family. I am humbled that almost 3,000 voters signed petitions to get me on the ballot.

Keep in mind, I only distributed the petitions to the counties, and on their own the people responded warmly to my candidacy. So, with my wife by my side, I filed those petitions last week.

I believe we have a real opportunity to get the word out about the need to overhaul our system to reflect this new century that we are in.

My first call is for a constitutional convention. We have not had one in more than 40 years, and I believe the time is now. In fact, to achieve the real reform that is necessary, we need to change the rules so that they will stand up to the court challenges that will come if we don't.

Do we need to take a hard look at the budget process? I think last year's embarrassing impasse screams the answer: Yes!

Do we need to take a serious look at redistricting? Anyone who has looked at the legislative map in Pennsylvania would say we need to redraw lines.

Is the size of government too large, too small or just right? These are just three of the issues that can be addressed through a constitutional convention.

While I am passionate about the reform message, before making this decision I also took a very careful look at the duties of lieutenant governor.

I found that my background is well-suited for the position. The lieutenant governor is responsible for the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency, or PEMA. As a county commissioner, I worked very closely with Emergency Management Director Randy Rockey and his staff to learn what their needs are in times of distress. I also served as the first chairman of our terrorism task force after the horrific acts of Sept. 11, 2001.

The lieutenant governor is also responsible for the state's pardon board. I had the honor of chairing the statewide board of correction while serving as your county commissioner. I also led our prison board and oversaw the construction of our current county prison.

If elected, I would also have the honor of presiding over the Senate, and I'm the only Democratic candidate running with the legislative experience to be ready to assume this duty on Day One.

I also believe that, in the event I would be called upon to assume the duties of governor, my years of serving as your county commission chairman, your state representative and my extensive time in the private sector make me ready and qualified to answer that call.

Finally, it is not lost on me that our machine driven politics for personal gain is a failure. I think the performance of our state government as a whole over the past several years illustrates quite brightly that we need a fresh perspective. So it is for all of these reasons and many others that I threw my hat into the ring.

The time for real reform is now, and I humbly ask for your support in the effort.